Hub motors are by far the most common motors on electric powered bicycles, and have been refined and developed over many years into extremely efficient machines.
The Advantages of a Hub Motor on an electric powered bicycle:
- The motor is handily placed in the wheel hub, causing no change in the basic design of the bike.
- Hub motors are relatively simple motors and are completely self-contained.
- Because the motors are sealed they are extremely low maintenance. They are usually impervious to wind, rain, snow, and sleet.
- The hub motor is directly attached to the wheel it is powering, making for high efficiency.
- The center of gravity is quite low, which is good for balance and retaining the classic bike feel.
- It is easy to access a hub motor if it needs service or repair.
- If it fails completely, you can usually just replace the motor while not impacting any other part of the bike.